The Daniel Fast
The Daniel Fast is based on the prophet Daniel’s experiences as recorded in the Bible. Scripture gives us some insight (eg. Daniel 10:3) into what he ate and didn’t eat, however we don’t know his complete menu. What we do know is that Daniel chose not to eat the “royal” food that he was being served and ate only vegetables and drank water. Later in the book of Daniel it describes how he deprived himself of “choice food,” meat, and wine as he sought the Lord in prayer. Most commentaries believe “choice food” would have been bread and sweets. The intention of today’s Daniel Fast is not to duplicate exactly what Daniel did, but the spirit in which he did it. Daniel’s passion for the Lord caused him to hunger and thirst more for spiritual food than for physical food, which should be the desire of anyone choosing to participate in this type of fast.
Easter camp can be physically, mentally and especially spiritually draining so the point of this isn’t to get hung up on what you should and shouldn’t eat but to prepare yourself as best as possible by spending time in prayer, reflection, rest and hearing from the Lord.
The Daniel Fast Food List
- All fruit and vegetables – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All whole grains – amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat.
- All nuts & seeds – also unsweetened almond milk, and nut butters are included.
- All legumes – canned or dried; black beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas.
- All quality oils – avocado, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sesame, and walnut.
- Beverages– distilled water, filtered water, spring water, black coffee, and herbal tea.
- Other –coconut milk, rice milk, soy milk; herbs, spices, salt, pepper, soy products, and tofu.
Foods to Avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat & animal products – bacon, beef, eggs, fish, lamb, poultry, and pork.
- All dairy products – butter, cheese, cream, milk, and yoghurt.
- All sweeteners – agave nectar, artificial sweeteners, brown rice syrup, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar.
- All bread & yeast.
- All refined & processed food products – artificial flavourings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice.
- All deep-fried foods – corn chips, French fries, and potato chips.
- All solid fats – lard, margarine, and shortening.
- Beverages – alcohol, carbonated drinks, and energy drinks.